Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The 4th of July weekend....

     Friday started pretty early for me. I packed clothes for Gigi and I for the weekend we were going to spend at our family property in McIntosh County. I had to work 3-11 Friday night, and being that we are a one car family at the moment, I had to take everyone to the property before going to work. Dropping Gigi, Mom and Grandma and going to work was the easy part, but getting back to the property that night was going to be difficult. The reason? Well right when I got between Fleming and Shellman,  the back passenger side tire decided to blow out on me. So I called mom to tell her what had happened while I found a decent place to pull over without getting hit. The thought of calling roadside assistance came to mind, but being that I didn't know the exact location of where I was it seemed pointless to call them and I didn't know how long it was going to take for someone to locate me at midnight. So I called 911 instead because it felt more safe calling them to me. Well 30 to 45 minutes later, I had a Sergeant and two other policemen come change my tire. Granted, the Sergeant asked me why I didn't call road service and I give him my reasoning. One of the other policemen that was with him said that he rather have his wife or daughter to call 911 this time of night for a tire change because of the fact you can never trust just anyone anymore. He also said that more people "expect something in return." The Sergeant agreed with both of our reasoning's. Once the tire was switched out and as I got into the car to leave, my car would start up. I am guessing that with the flashers had drained the battery?!? Well one of the policemen did in fact have jumper cables to jump the car off and I was on my way to Shellman. On the way I saw an armadillo on the way there. Luckily I was doing just under 50 miles an hour when I saw the little critter. I stopped to let him cross the street, but he stopped long enough to look at me and turned back.
    Saturday rolls around and I am tired. I didn't go to bed till sometime after 2:15 because of the tire and battery issue. Gigi woke up just after 7 and was ready to go. I wasn't, but I had my Coke from the night before that I didn't finish to wake me up. Did some crochet while hanging outside for a bit and watching Gigi swim in the portable pool mom got for the property down there. It was a good lazy day and got to visit with family that came down to stay for the holiday weekend or just for the day. All in all it was a good day of laughter and fun. That night didn't take us long to go to sleep, but I woke up wide awake at 2 a.m. I was not happy at all. I ended up going in the living room to watch t.v. for about an hour.
     Sunday Gigi and I woke up shortly after 8 a.m. Mom made pancakes and sausages for breakfast, but Gigi wasn't to interested in it to much. We seemed to stay outside most of the day. Mom and my Aunt J started cutting up stuff for the BBQ. Mom had brought some ribs to be cooked and gave them to my Uncle G to get them started. My Aunt B and Uncle A came down for the day to visit. When lunch time came around we had a table full of food. BBQ ribs, baked beans, corn on the cob, squash with cucumbers and onions. We ate good and for dessert later some had ice cream sandwiches while others had a Klondike bar. Later on my older sister and her family came down. The kids swam while the adults watched and later my brother in law shot off some fireworks and the girls had sparklers. Of course I didn't have my camera so I wasn't able to caputre any of this.Gigi and I went home with my brother because I missed my bed and was getting a little snifflly with all the junk that the pine trees have on them.
     Monday wasn't to bad, granted I woke up with a bad headache and stuffed up nose. We were to head to our cousin's house on my dad's side of the family. They had a waterslide for the kids and plenty of food. Some family members I remembered from my childhood, others I didn't. One of my Uncle's (my Dad's brother) brought his grandson (who was about a year younger than Gigi). The two of them were the youngest on the slide, but it didn't seem to bother them at all. They thought they were one of the "bigger" kids. The only time that Gigi and her cousin wanted to get out of the slide was when all the kids found out that someone brought water guns for all of them to have. By 3:30 though Gigi was getting tired and was ready to go and so was my brother and I, believe me, we were ready. Gigi kept asking when we were going to shoot off the fireworks I had bought and I told her we had to wait till it was dark enough. About 8:45, we went outside to start shooting the fireworks. Gigi wasn't thrilled with the noise, so I told her to watch inside through the window. To my surprise we didn't see the first police officer to drive by (but then again I am not). We ended our 4th of July watching the fireworks done by Macy's on the t.v. Gigi made it through three songs and passed out on my lap. I went to bed just after 10 p.m. I think I should had taken day off to recover from this busy, but lazy weekend.

2 comments:

  1. lol glad you did a few things. we too were exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very exhausting weekend, but we survived.

    ReplyDelete